Google bans Squid Game app as users warned to delete it from Android phone now
GOOGLE Play Store has banned a dangerous Squid Game app as users have been warned to delete it from their Android phones immediately.
Android users have been urged to check they haven’t downloaded the unofficial app based on the hit Netflix show over malware concerns.
Lukas Stefanko, malware researcher at ESET, said a malicious app known as “Squid Game Wallpaper 4k HD” was being used to spread the notorious Joker malware.
The dangerous software, first was spotted in 2019, is a common tool used by cybercriminals for attacks.
It can sign Android users up for expensive subscriptions without their consent, and the malware can also spy on texts, data and contact lists.
Alerting Android users to the security threat on Twitter earlier this week, Stefanko said: “Running this app on device might result in malicious ad-fraud and/or unwanted SMS subscription actions.”
The “Squid Game Wallpaper 4k HD” app was reportedly downloaded over 5,000 times from the Google Play Store before it was banned.
But users must make sure to delete the dangerous app if it was downloaded before it was taken down from the app store.
Android users have also been urged to run checks on their phone for any viruses.
Stefanko said more than 200 Squid Game-related apps are still available on the Google Play Store.
One of the apps, based on the Red Light Green Light game which featured in the first episode of Squid Game, has been installed by more than one million users.
Stefanko said this app wasn’t malicious, and the flurry of Squid Game apps on the Google Play Store appears to be a way for companies to make quick ad revenue.
He said: “Over 200 #SquidGame related apps are available on Google Play.
“Seems like a great opportunity to make money on in-app ads from one of the most popular TV show without official game. The most downloaded of them reached 1M installs in 10 days. Its game play is not that well handled.”
SECOND SEASON HINT
Squid Game is the Netflix thriller that everyone is talking about and its creator has dropped the biggest hint yet that a second instalment could very well be in the pipeline.
Since its explosive debut on September 17, the Korean drama series has surpassed all expectations, topping the Netflix charts in 90 countries and becoming the streaming services’ biggest ever series launch.
The drama follows desperate, debt-ridden contestants who are offered the chance to win millions by taking part in a mysterious tournament.
There’s a cash prize of 45.6bn won (£28m) at stake, but only if the contestants manage to win a series of games traditionally played by children.
Since its overwhelming success, series creator Hwang Dong-hyuk has remained tight-lipped about a second season – until now.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Hwang teased: “There are some other stories in the series that have not been addressed.
“For example, the story of the police officer and the story of his brother, ‘The Front Man’.
“I could also go into the story of that recruiter in the suit who plays the game of ddajki with Gi-hun and gives him the card in the first episode.
“I’ll just say, there are a lot of possibilities out there for season two storylines.”